Leaving your mark in Calgary is a very personal decision. May marks Legacy Giving month, dedicated to education around the importance of thinking to the future – and thinking about the gift you could leave to a charity that means something to you and your family.
“We chose to leave a legacy gift because it is an important and meaningful way to ensure long-term impact,” say Bob and Michele Michaleski, donors to United Way’s Tomorrow Fund.
Here are 7 reasons to think about making a gift in your will:
- Support a cause you believe in. You will be helping your cause, be it kids, poverty, health or something else long into the future.
- Tax savings. Qualify for an income tax credit resulting in lower estate taxes for your beneficiaries.
- Avoid capital gains. If you leave a gift of securities in your will as a bequest to a registered charity.
- Make a more significant gift. With no impact on your assets during your lifetime.
- Long-term support for Calgary. By leaving a local endowed gift, the annual returns will be invested back into the community you know and love every year.
Reasons to think about United Way’s Tomorrow Fund endowment program:
- Your gift is professionally managed. With invested assets exceeding $31M, the size of United Way’s endowment holdings assures investment diversification and economies of scale. Funds are professionally managed with constant oversight by our Investment Committee and Board of Directors.
- Annual updates on the impact of your gift. Meet with a Planned Giving Officer to receive reports on the impact of the endowment in the community, as well as the endowment’s investment performance.
United Way’s specialists will work closely with you to ensure your gift to the Tomorrow Fund aligns with what’s important to you and your family.